Sunday, July 21, 2013

In a Funk


Be straight with me here: how many of you judged me in my video (previous blog posting, July 5th)? Right, you probably did. After all, we tend to judge others – ourselves as well – critically, callously, and often immediately.

In that blog posting (if you read it), I mentioned that “when I don't sing, it's either because I'm sick or sad/blue/depressed.” What I didn’t tell you was – I wasn’t ready to tell you – that I was somewhat “in a funk.” Though I gave it my all as best I could at the time, it wasn’t my all in terms of my ideal state of wellness, speaking in terms of performance delivery of course!

Now please understand: I love performing and reciting poetry and the like (after the first few seconds of initial nervousness). I felt drawn at the time, despite my mood, to share that piece of poetry and that song for various reasons (which don’t matter per se).

What I want you to get is how much more powerful I (and the video as a result) could have been if I was feeling (more) fully alive and passionate during my performance. Now do you understand?

My funk-like state lasted approximately two months, though still feeling intermittently so with a few recent circumstances beyond my control. That’s quite a long time for me to be feeling blue, especially considering I haven’t been for some time, at least not for that long a period. ... to be continued ...

Have you ever felt in a funk and if so, how often? What did you do or do you do to overcome it?

p.s. I initially wrote this piece the day after my previous posting! Hmmm, what does that say about me?! ;)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks again for sharing your passion, it is also inspiring to see authentic beings like you who wants to share with the world all her questions and have the courage and discipline to express herself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. Authenticity is important to be - one of my top values - and I strive to be an example of that. It is SO important that we bring our uniqueness and individuality to the world, offering our precious gifts to share with others in service. We're not meant to be clones! BTW, writing takes discipline, not necessarily expressing myself! ;) <3

    ReplyDelete