Saturday, July 26, 2014

Part 6: Ways of Healing


Credit: photo of me by Michael Julian Berz

Rumi, a mystic Sufi poet (see my July 7th, 8th, and 10th posts) informs us: "There are many ways to kneel and kiss the ground." This is applicable to ways or methods of healing as well.

When I mention the word "healing," what comes to mind: traditional? contemporary? alternative? complementary? or a combination of these?

Alternative healing may be considered by some as "new age" though this is a misnomer; it actually refers to "...alternative approaches to traditional Western culture, with an interest in spirituality, mysticism, holism, and environmentalism" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Age).

Furthermore, even though some of the so-called 'new age' healing modalities have existed for centuries, some even for millenia (as referred to in this article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_medicine), its meaning is actually referring to the astrological age of Aquarius. Check this link for more information if you are curious: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrological_age.

There are many ways to heal and paths of healing, and no one way is "the one or "the one and only." There is no "one size fits all" philosophy, as what works for me might not work for you, and vice versa. One method of healing is not necessarily better than another, just different, just like you and I are different.

Healing modalities for me include my voice via my speaking and singing; my hands via my writing, my art, and my conducting; and my body via creative dance/movement (like when I used to perform spontaneous dance years ago).

I have been aware for some time that my voice is instrumental as a healing modality from numerous compliments over the years of how calming and/or soothing it is (especially when I used to work on a crisis line and other phone lines, and similarly when reciting poetry or reading kids' books in public); and my hands which 'perform' their own kind of magic, moving spontaneously through involuntary movements, and through my writing. (Yes, that's me! I'm dancing to a poem I performed as a rap at my Expressive Arts Therapy graduation.)

These forms are healing for myself and hopefully for others in some way; sometimes it can be primarily or only for myself, and other times not.

Are you aware of your ways of healing? What do others admire about you and praise you for and/or that you know are unique to you?

4 comments:

  1. Ah this is a new concept for me! I still have to figure what I use to heal me...writing maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could be if you find it cathartic. Maybe it's a form of emotional and/or mental release? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You r such a comfort, Elly n lovely pics! For me reading books, writing, and meditation are really effective healing modalities. Also, sky is my comfort element...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Asiya, though I'm amused by your comments. "Lovely"?! ;) The one with me on the floor - hahaha! I do believe those are all therapeutic that you mention, even reading books! For me, it can be an escape as I get so engrossed in the story if fiction or in the material (if nonfiction) as I love to learn. And I LOVE looking at the sky too: I do that both during the day and at night! <3

      Delete