Friday, July 4, 2014

R U American? Xpress it!




The above video depicts the American version of the song, "This Land is Your Land" written by American folk singer, Woody Guthrie in 1940. (The Canadian version is featured on my July 1st, Canada Day posting. Yes, a few days ago! Check it out.)

The American lyrics are as follows:

This land is your land, this land is my land
From California to the New York Island,
From the Redwood Forest, to the Gulf stream waters,
This land was made for you and me.

As I went walking that ribbon of highway
And saw above me that endless skyway,
And saw below me the golden valley, I said:
This land was made for you and me.

I roamed and rambled and followed my footsteps
To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts,
And all around me, a voice was sounding:
This land was made for you and me.

When the sun come shining, then I was strolling
In wheat fields waving and dust clouds rolling;
The voice was chanting as the fog was lifting:
This land was made for you and me.

See the original lyrics and interesting history at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Land_Is_Your_Land if you wish.

Today (even though I'm writing late in the day) is Independence Day AKA (also known as) the Fourth of July, a national holiday for the United States of America (USA). A day when Americans commemorate their day of independence from Great Britain that originated in 1776. Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_Day_%28United_States%29 for details.

When you think of the USA, what comes to mind? Do you think of Hollywood and movie stars or Disneyland? Do you think of football, hotdogs, burgers and the like? Or do you think of the vast and varied landscape (as shown in the videos) and rich culture you have with such diverse nationalities?

Are you American? If so, how did you express it today? Did you wear red, white, and blue today (like a work colleague did in her red-, white-, and blue-striped dress) to show your patriotism? Did you attend any parades or watch fireworks or any other patriotic-like acts, waving an American flag? (Not that you "have to" to do any of these of course, but getting into the spirit of being American might be fun, don't ya think?)

The American flag has interesting symbolism by the way: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_the_United_States

How important is it to get along with your neighbours, whether at home (in your house/apartment) where you live or in your country (such as the USA and Canada)?

P.S. For you Canadians, read the 1st of July (Canada Day) posting. If you are another nationality, read this posting with questions about your country and your country's national or popular song.

No comments:

Post a Comment