Tuesday, February 3, 2015

NaBloPoMo: Make...Paper Trees!


Paper tree I made at a Christmas dinner

Today's NaBloPoMo (National Blog Posting Month) question on the theme of 'make' is as follows: "What was the last craft project you attempted?"

Though I'm not generally an artsy-craftsy person, I have from time to time made some crafts with a group of women usually and enjoyed it. Over the years, some of my craft creations included a pine cone wreath, tiny-mouse-head-and-tail-in-walnut-shell Christmas tree decorations, a pendant, and I'm not sure what else. I obviously do not have much or any of these remnants left as reminders, just memory.

The latest craft project that I learned about at a local library was one that excited me greatly. In order to understand why, you need to realize that I love trees. Yes, I even hug them from time to time. And in fact, one of my social media names has "treehugger" in it. ;)

Me hugging a tree

The library project involved making trees out of paper, or rather paper trees primarily made out of old books that the library was discarding. A good use as any!

I discovered that the larger the book, the longer it takes to make them, so the books were sectioned off in chunks of pages. I was drawn to a book in Persian: so elegant and feminine with its curved characters. See the picture below of the first paper tree I made.

Eventually, I ended up making a number of them for a Christmas desk-decorating contest - usually with a theme of trees at least for me - made out of glossy advertising flyers, only to discover there was no contest after all, at least this past year.

Ten trees I created for work and seven for home. And why not? My home theme is trees, including (believe it or not) a tree-patterned shower curtain! Not my ideal perhaps; however, the brown silhouette of the tree matches the fake wood flooring. (I'm glad I don't have tile floor!)

My tree shower curtain

I even made a paper tree for a community Christmas dinner I attended with some acquaintances to add to the decor. They all loved it and one designed a star to top it. ;)

What project, recent or otherwise, have you made that you thoroughly enjoyed? What of its essence did you particularly enjoy?

12 comments:

  1. You must have some connection with trees. Nice pic of you hugging one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice crafts, Elly. I am not a craft person. But I find doing more crafts with my son now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't consider myself a crafts person either actually Vinitha. Just the odd one from time to time, and of course this one captured my interest due to my love of trees. Sounds like your son is rather young to be doing crafts with him: hope you both enjoy it! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post Elly. The picture of you hugging the tress is precious - you look so calm and collected.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Sam. :) I was most likely sending good vibes to the tree! ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm pathetic when it comes to arts and crafts. That's some great craft work there. I love your shower curtain by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We all have our talents Sanch, and it doesn't matter that you don't have a tendency towards it. :) I generally don't as well! :) I wish they had a shower curtain with pine trees on it, not a bare-branched tree! ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's such a wonderful idea!and the tree looks so beautiful too. I would love to learn this art. I'm an artist at heart, you see! :) the last piece i remember making is a simple nursery class work with my nephew- to draw a house and paste broom sticks on it. Sounds simple, but required real attention and neatness, and lots of time. But doing it with him made it so much fun :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, though it wasn't my (original) idea! ;) I consider myself an "artist at heart" too; however, I don't include crafts with my definition. ;) That's a long time ago you made a craft Asma...perhaps time for another? ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mum is more of a crafts person. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I should be the one doing the crafts because I'm a painter by academics and thus expected to be more creative but am pretty moody about pursuing creative endeavours.
    Making trees out of discarded books sounds like fun! What more could you have asked for as a tree hugger?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's nothing wrong with not being a crafts person Vinnie. Not of all us are meant to be and besides I think painting and crafts are two totally separate categories of the arts, don't you? ;) Yes, a perfect combo for me to make this. And I just bought a I-kid-you-not "treehuggers" calendar! :) <3

    ReplyDelete