Friday, April 3, 2015

#A to Z Challenge: C is for Courage


Today's 'heart things, heart strings' theme for the letter C in the A to Z challenge is Courage.

The origins of the word comes from "From Old French corage (French: courage), from Latin cor (heart) according to wiktionary." (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/courage)

Similarly, Merriam-Webster dictionary (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/courage) refers to "Middle English corage, from Anglo-French curage, from quer, coer heart, from Latin cor — more at heart."

According to one source, "In one of its earliest forms, the word courage had a very different definition than it does today. Courage originally meant 'To speak one’s mind by telling all one’s heart.' Over time, this definition has changed, and, today, courage is more synonymous with being heroic...."

Another source
similarly states, "It means that we speak openly and act honestly, from the heart, about what we are feeling and what we are experiencing, good or bad."

Courage is definitely not for the faint-hearted, yet I believe it just takes practice and patience.

What comes to mind is the cowardly lion in The Wizard of Oz who receives a medal for his courage.

Picture from wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowardly_Lion

To quote Mark Twain, "Courage is not the absence of fear. It is acting in spite of it."

I have undergone a number of challenging and daunting experiential exercises that tested my utmost physical, mental, emotional, and even spiritual strength: Enlightened Warrior Training Camp and Wizard Training Camp were two such examples via Peak Potentials Training (http://www.peakpotentials.com/), a personal development company.

I was amazed at what I faced and overcame, major triumphs for me. It blew me away so much that I thought, "If I can do that, I can do anything."

What insurmountable obstacles have you overcome?

9 comments:

  1. Wow! That was new information to me that "courage" initially had another meaning. But I guess I can relate more to the earlier meaning than what it stands for today. Being able to speak all in one's heart definitely is more bold and daring and requires guts. :)

    Great post and looking forward to more !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure does Eloquent Mind! ;) Thanks for your comments. :) <3

      Delete
  2. I salute all courageous people especially women. Life could be difficult and it takes a lot of courage to come out of this in one piece. I went through a lot of things too, but I pat myself on the back every time I survive one trial after another.

    Looking forward to reading more from you.

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, trials in life certainly require courage and glad you experienced that with yours. :) <3

      Delete
  3. I like this quote from Rumi, which says that don't be satisfied with stories, how things have gone with others. Unfold your own myth!
    It is easy to stand with the crowd. But it takes courage to stand alone and follow your dream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not familiar with that Rumi quote; however, I like "Unfold your own myth!" ;) And it does require courage to stand apart from the crowd AND to follow your dream. :) <3

      Delete
  4. Mark Twain's quote resonates the most. Despite much trepidation, I started my own business over two decades ago and am still doing it. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you Debbie! :) Now it's my turn to pluck my courage and do the same! ;) <3

      Delete